Over the past two months I have slowly worked on building my own home-brew kegerator. Last night I put my first batch of brew in the fridge and turned everything on.
I brewed my first batch of home-brew with Cody Hoffman sometime in mid 2010 and have loved the process. The first batch we brewed was a pale ale which we named (while brewing) Epic Ale. I even went to the effort of making a label for the bottles. We opened the first bottles on a trip up at Truckee lake and the beer was quickly re-name “Epic Fail”. It was carbonated, smelled good but tasted like metal. It turned out that Cody had been holding on to the cracked grains since Christmas and neither of us knew any better. We didn’t let it detour us though and we brewed a handful more batches, a few of them even got fancy labels and fun names and we setup a fun Facebook page for our en devours. But the number one problem we seemed to have was getting the right amount of carbonation in the bottles. I expect its a common problem for home-brewers, especially new ones like we were.